Friday, June 29, 2012

Big Hole Blog Hop

When I saw Kristi Bowman’s components I was in love. I did not realize that I had been following her on flickr for over a year, because her things weren’t in copper when I started following her. I have not worked with copper before because it is not a color I wear, but the patina of Kristi’s pieces is so rich, I was totally sucked in! I really wanted to participate, and entered, crossing my fingers. I was so excited my name was chosen! I waited to see which component I would get in the mail. While I waited, I browsed Kristi's etsy site. Have you taken a look? It’s got some great components at wonderful prices! 

Finally mine arrived! I got this one! 

At first I thought it was a bit plain, but then I thought wow, it’s very ocean-like, very shell-like, and I was grateful that it spoke to me. It was just as rich and enticing in person as it was in the photograph. I knew right away that I was going to use it as a clasp. I have been having a hard time finding really interesting clasps lately, so this was a no-brainer for me. The component just HAD to be a clasp!
I immediately began grabbing beads from my stash. My first instinct was to grab the purples, very sure that was the direction that I was going to go. I dug out quite a few of them. They were nice and rich! Still, that beach-y, ocean-y feel kept grabbing me. While I was digging, I found some unknown gem stone squares I had leftover from a necklace I made for my mom. I only had six left, but the dark turquoise had a pinkish vein in it that picked up the copper and made it sing! I started pulling a lot more aqua beads. Finally I found it. It was THE BEAD! I found an aqua conch shell from Unicorn Beads that I had for a couple of years. It was a bead I bought because it was beautiful, but I had just never been able to use it in anything. It was a perfect color match to the turquoise gem stones. It was then that asked DD#2 for a consult. She’s not a jewelry maker; she’s a fine artist, doing mostly drawing and painting. She tends to roll her eyes in confusion when it comes to beads, but she does like color. Because I was an art teacher, she often consults me on her art work. I think she felt sorry for me and decided that since DD#1 (also a jewelry maker) wasn’t around to consult with, she would listen to me. She took a look and actually offered an opinion. She loved the ocean-y look to the big hole component. She is a real lover of the ocean, so I knew she would pick up on that. She loved the aqua, and purple is her favorite color, so I knew she would be fair. We discussed the pluses and minuses of each color and in the end the fact that the component spoke to both of us in the same way (we think a lot alike) we agreed I had to use the dark turquoise conch shell. 
The actually construction was very difficult, and very time consuming. I didn’t have anything copper. I had to make all of my own jump rings and more importantly, the toggle for the clasp. I’m pretty happy with the way things came out. I gave myself a deadline of the Wednesday before the project was due to post so that I would have plenty of time to photograph and write the post. I didn’t want to be that one person who was late for my first blog hop!
 Thank you Kristi Bowman for trusting me with a lovely piece of your work and allowing me to participate in your Big Hole Blog Hop! Please enjoy the rest of the Hop and check out what the rest of the participants have made with their components!
Attendents

34 comments:

Alicia said...

Oh, this is so beautiful - it is, indeed, very ocean-y :) A very elegant and organic piece!

Kristi Bowman said...

I love it!!! I'm so happy to see it used as a clasp and the colors you chose were perfect!!! Thanks so much for joining my hop!!!

Lois Moon said...

What a lush piece. I love how you used the seed beads. Very clever.

Kristen said...

Wow that is beautiful! I love the ocean inspiration you followed

Linda Landig said...

I love the colors and textures you put together in this wonderful necklace.

Pine Ridge Treasures said...

What a lovely necklace! I love the fabric, the colors, and of course, the awesome copper clasp!

Shirley said...

Wow, those colors do sing! I adore that shell, it truly is beautiful. I do love seeing Kristi's donut used as a clasp, that's a great idea.

Alice said...

A gorgeous piece! I love the rich colors, and how clever that you used the donut as a clasp!!!

Jean A. Wells said...

Your necklace is beautiful. You put so much careful thought into it and even had a consultant - Wow! I'm sure Kristi is thrilled with it and I think its gorgeous. You did a great job!

stacilouise said...

The blue and copper go very well together! I myself love ocean like jewelry, and the shell at the bottom is a great bead. (of course Kristi's donut is awesome as well- great texture on it)

Jennifer Cameron said...

What gorgeous detail. Your design is just lush and very much reminds me of the ocean. I love that you took up the challenge of creating your own findings. That makes this piece extra special.

Heather said...

The necklace looks great! I love the beach theme and the colors are a great compliment to the focal!

Karen Williams said...

Congratulations on a great showing in your first blog hop! Very, very pretty! I enjoyed getting a close-up look at your components!

The ocean is one of my favorite design influences, and I loved your subtle, understated approach. :)

Shelley Graham Turner said...

This is quite pretty! You did a great job. I love the colors you used and all the different textures! What ARE those little square blue/green stones? They look like jasper but does jasper have blue/green veins? Whatever it is, I really love it. Congrats.

Anonymous said...

Great job with the colors. Blue and cooper really go together.

Kristi Bowman said...

I love the colors you chose to go with the copper! Beautiful creation, thanks so much for participating in my hop!!

Genea said...

Wow what a gorgeous piece! I LOVE the donut you got! That snakeskin texture is amazing!

I love that you dug out all of those gorgeous beads for your piece.

I didn't have much copper for my own piece as well so I had to go out and get some wire for mine.

You made your own jr's too! Lol good for you! I was too lazy he he.

Well you did an amazing job creating your piece. I'm glad that even though it was difficult you kept at it! The design was so worth the effort! Lovely work, my friend!

xo Genea

Jennifer Cameron said...

Weird! I could have sworn i commented on this post first thing this morning! I adore the beads you selected for this. It's obvious you put a lot of time and effort into this gorgeous piece. It was definitely worth it. I would totally wear it.

Diana P. said...

Great job! I really like your use of various textures in this piece! Also, great color choices!

Jean A. Wells said...

I love your necklace. It has interest everywhere you look at it. Love the seed bead section between the bead caps. Your toggle is also beautiful. Great job!

Marian Hertzog said...

Love what you did with your Big Hole copper piece. I enjoyed following your muse with you while reading your blog. Don't you just love it when things come together and you can use a treasure that you have had for a while? Love it!

PyxeeStyx said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I love the direction you decided to go with it.

Karen Totten said...

Beautiful design - I LOVE this as a toggle!

Linda said...

Looks great...I LOVE the component you got and how you worked with the texture!

Kristen said...

Oh my goodness I did post a comment earlier but I messed up! Sorry! Anyway I love love love that you looked around for the beads and how you ended up choosing they best fyou you. I love your beautiful necklace!

re-maker said...

Beautiful work! Using the copper donut as a toggle was a brilliant idea. The size is a great balance to the shell you chose as your focal.

Beti Horvath said...

Spectacular! Love how you featured the toggle, and found a place for the lovely shell focal. Thanks for sharing!

Marlene Cupo said...

This is one gorgeous piece. Congrats on a more than job well done for your first Challenge. Many we see many more from you in the future!

rockcreekcreations said...

Wow i love the green bead caps you used!!

Debbie said...

Very beautiful! I think what's amazing about beach colors is not just the colors on their own (which can be plain) but it's when they all come together What beauty there is to behold !! Cant tell I love the ocean/beach/sand... Thanks for sharing!

Lori Anderson said...

Love the blue with the copper!

Emakaye said...

Love it. You did a FABULOUS job!

Pine Ridge Treasures said...

Wow! I love those green beadcaps! The color and texture in your piece are so lovely!

Denielle said...

Diane, you made a great choice of theme and color! The necklace is just gorgeous. I love that focal bead!