Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Hungarian Eggplant Parmesan

So what is Hungarian Eggplant Parmesan you ask? It's just eggplant parmesan made by a Hungarian, which means there is no real recipe, you just 'put it together'. I suppose I need to explain that to you non-Hungarians out there. Whenever I ask my mom or my aunts how they make something, they kind of give me a blank stare that says 'what do you mean you need a RECIPE? I just make it!' We tend to just 'know' how to make stuff. I learned to make stuffed cabbage by making it with my mom. I would watch her with fascination as she turned that lump of meat and a cabbage leaf into some wondrous little bundle, then snugged it in the pan with all of his little cabbage roll buddies. And when I asked to try it, she didn't 'shoo me off to play and get out of her hair, even though she knew it would now take her two times longer to finish because I was going to get my hands in the mix. Nope, she patiently showed me how to cut the rib off of the back of the cabbage leaf so it would roll nicely, then how too much meat would make too big of a roll, so you had to hold back a bit. Then she rolled it and tucked in the ends. She suffered through me still putting in too much meat, and tucking in my ends so the leaf split. She just unwrapped it and let me try again. My mom was so patient. I still don't know how she did that. She taught me so many things with that ultimate patience. She even taught my kids how to cut up veggies for salad with a knife when I was too scared to let them near anything that sharp or pointy. Now they are both pretty darn good at making salad. My mom rocks.

So here is my Hungarian eggplant Parmesan. Take about 4 eggplant; the long skinny ones. I grow those because I think I get more production from either 'Little Fingers' or 'Ichiban'. The long, skinny variety seems to grow faster and produce more than the conventional eggplant. I just cut them diagonally to get more surface space and thus, larger slices than if I cut them across.
Mid September 023
I salt them and put them in a colander to drain. Dip in flour, then egg wash, then seasoned breadcrumbs. Fry until brown on both sides. Coat the bottom of a pan with your favorite red sauce . Layer a row of the fried eggplant, then put on more sauce, parmesan, then mozzarella or provolone, more eggplant, more sauce, more parmesan, and more mozzarella. Then send your husband out to the garden for more eggplant because you don't have enough to do three whole layers. Take picture while hub is in the garden.
Mid September 024
Finish and bake at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes.
Mid September 029

1 comment:

januarygypsy said...

Oh, the good old Hungarian oral recipe exchange! Your reminiscing makes me laugh. It's funny how I, like you, wouldn't need a recipe for something like eggplant parmesan or stuffed cabbages (thanks, Mom!), but tell me to make a chocolate cake and I'm off to consult the cookbook shelves. Why couldn't my family have been bakers? (it's probably for the best...)

Thanks for sharing that story.

P.S. Love how your home came by it's name! How cool!